Thursday, February 4, 2016

Eyes Cast Skyward: Technological Relations to Reality



Brian Mahabee is a graduate of Teacher's College at Columbia University, and has been involved in the education world for nearly a decade.  Brian and I work together, and a big part of his job title involves increases the utilization of educational technology in our classrooms, so I thought he'd be the perfect person to ask for thoughts on intersections between technology and culture.

His thoughts are collected in the lovely, poetic essay which follows.




Look down, look down, and look down some more. For years we’ve been taught to look up, gaze at the stars, shoot for the clouds and rise like the sun, but nowadays all we do is look down. More and more we’re being taught to look at the screens we have. Stay connected they say, interact more, look at this new thingy that does that one thing you always wanted to do. So we look down some more. And that one thing you always wanted to do, is it really something you always wanted to do? Are more interactions actually taking place? And the ever present question, are we really interacting?
Culture in my opinion is something that is deeply rooted in a people’s being, in their beliefs and stand for something that is unique to their core. The supposed connections, interactions and new advancements in “things you always wanted to do” will soon be the culture that is passed on to following generations. So can this type of acquisition become a culture? Can making new connections and interacting virtually define a culture? Or does that dilute a culture that already exists? Many times to experience a culture, travel is presumably involved. A new place, to feel the atmosphere, to meet the people and experience the landscape. Nowadays, we are able to do similar things virtually, and what an advancement this is. However, is it a diluted experience? Many would say they would rather have the diluted over nothing at all, including myself in some cases. However, which is better? A powerful video, or no video at all. A glimpse into the Egyptian pyramids, or no view of the hidden treasures?


I recently viewed a video based on Polynesian culture, and it touched me in an emotional way that I would have never known if I wasn’t virtually connected to someone who is of Polynesian descent. With an experience like this, my apprehension slowly becomes undone. Yes looking down at our devices constantly is becoming cultural, and yes superficial connections are replacing in person deeply confirmed interactions, but the connections that give a somewhat diluted experience that nurture an appreciation for the actual thing, whether it be the Polynesian culture, the pyramids of Egypt or the interaction with a person online can have a place in cultural discovery.


A negative impact of the unlimited availability of information is easily tripping over a line that is a mile wide but an inch deep. The vast amount of knowledge is just that: vast. And with its availability users can easily jump to another resource without a depth of knowledge worth having. I now guiltily look at emails, articles and notes by skimming. I skim, then move on. This has now become my culture of reading. I fear that I am becoming acculturated to this type of reading that my breadth of knowledge spans a mile wide with an inch of depth.  I fear the same for present day peoples with the breadth of information available. I fear my reality. I fear present day culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment